Thursday, August 12, 2010

Their Eyes Were Watching God #2

On pag e40 when joe says "I God, yeah," is he calling himself God? He is trying to take over like he is some God. On page 49, Jeff Bruce was talking about Joe and how "he's de wind and we'se de grass." I began to feel sorry for Janie because once Joe started talking about taking over, I already knew that Janie would suffer from loneliness because he would take up all his time working, trying to be the boss. On page 53, I kept wondering what was so special abotu the mule, then I thought maybe it represented slavery...and as I kept reading I figured it was about women because they're always being pushed around byt heir husbands and having to do what they say and please them or else the women will get beat up. On page 54 I noticed time was capitalized again.. I'm still trying to figure out why. On page 71, Joe was implying that women are like animals: "Somebody got to think for women and chillun and chicken and cows..." Men were disgusting back then, thinking women are just made to serve them. On page 89 the horizon was mentioned again. I'm thinking that the horizon represents where wishes and dreams are granted..or maybe it represents heaven? On page 97 Tea Cake is introduced and I was analyzing his name. It is an oxymoron because tea is something you drink while cake is something you eat? Why is he called Tea Cake? Tea os supposed to "cleanse your soul," and it's healthy for the body. Cake is something that makes people happy and is eaten at celebrations. Maybe Tea Cake is "the one" for Janie.

No comments:

Post a Comment